In recent times, the air fryer has become a popular kitchen appliance that allows for easy and healthy cooking. One of the dishes that can be prepared using an air fryer is chicken parmesan. In this article, we will explore how to prepare air fryer chicken parmesan without breading, and all the benefits and tricks that come with it.
Benefits of using an air fryer for chicken parmesan
Using an air fryer to prepare chicken parmesan offers several benefits. Firstly, it significantly reduces the amount of oil needed for cooking, making it a healthier option compared to the traditional method. Additionally, the air fryer ensures that the chicken is evenly cooked and crispy on all sides, giving it a texture and taste similar to the deep-fried version. Lastly, an air fryer is easy to clean, making it an ideal kitchen appliance for those with busy schedules or minimal kitchen space.
Another benefit of using an air fryer for chicken parmesan is that it cooks the dish faster than traditional methods. This is because the air fryer uses hot air to cook the food, which circulates around the chicken and cooks it from all sides. As a result, you can have a delicious and crispy chicken parmesan ready in just a few minutes.
Furthermore, using an air fryer for chicken parmesan is a great way to reduce the amount of mess in your kitchen. Unlike traditional frying methods, the air fryer does not produce any splatters or spills, which can be difficult to clean up. This means that you can enjoy a delicious and healthy meal without having to worry about cleaning up a greasy mess afterwards.
How to choose the best air fryer for your chicken parmesan
When choosing an air fryer, it is important to consider factors such as the capacity, cooking time, and additional features. For instance, if you intend to prepare air fryer chicken parmesan for a large family, you may want to opt for a sizeable air fryer that can hold up to 5 quarts of food. Additionally, you may want to select an air fryer with a built-in timer and temperature control to ensure precise and consistent cooking. Other features like non-stick coating, dishwasher-safe parts, and automatic shut-off can also add to the convenience of using an air fryer.
Another important factor to consider when choosing an air fryer is the wattage. Higher wattage air fryers tend to cook food faster and more evenly than lower wattage models. However, they may also consume more energy and be more expensive. It is important to strike a balance between wattage and cost to ensure that you get the best value for your money.
Finally, it is worth considering the brand and customer reviews before making a purchase. Some brands are known for producing high-quality air fryers that are durable and efficient, while others may have a reputation for producing subpar products. Reading customer reviews can also give you an idea of the pros and cons of different air fryer models and help you make an informed decision.
Ingredients needed for air fryer chicken parmesan without breading
The ingredients you will need for this recipe include:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of salt and black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon of dried oregano
This recipe is a healthier alternative to traditional chicken parmesan, as it is made without breading. Air frying the chicken breasts instead of frying them in oil also reduces the amount of fat and calories in the dish. Additionally, using marinara sauce instead of a heavy cream sauce also makes this dish lighter and more nutritious.
Step by step instructions for making air fryer chicken parmesan without breading
Here are the step-by-step instructions to prepare air fryer chicken parmesan without breading:
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper over the chicken breasts, and place them in the preheated air fryer basket. Cook for about 10 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the air fryer basket, and spoon marinara sauce over each piece. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese, followed by garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, and dried oregano on top of each chicken breast.
- Place the chicken breasts back in the air fryer and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer, and let it sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
There are a few variations you can make to this recipe to suit your taste preferences. For example, you can add some chopped fresh basil or parsley on top of the chicken before serving for an extra burst of flavor. Additionally, you can swap out the marinara sauce for a homemade tomato sauce or even a pesto sauce for a different twist on the classic chicken parmesan.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it is a healthier alternative to traditional chicken parmesan, as it is made without breading and is cooked in an air fryer instead of being fried in oil. This means you can enjoy the delicious flavors of chicken parmesan without the added calories and fat from the breading and frying process.
Tips and tricks for getting crispy, flavorful chicken in the air fryer
Here are some tips for achieving crispy and flavorful chicken breasts in the air fryer:
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel before cooking to ensure they are not too moist.
- Spraying the chicken breasts with cooking spray or brushing them with olive oil will help them to crisp up better.
- Season the chicken breasts well with spices to add flavor to the dish.
- Try to avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket as this can lead to uneven cooking.
Another tip for getting crispy chicken in the air fryer is to preheat the air fryer before adding the chicken. This will help to create a hot and consistent cooking environment, which is essential for achieving crispy chicken. Additionally, flipping the chicken halfway through cooking can also help to ensure that both sides are evenly cooked and crispy.
How to make a homemade marinara sauce to accompany your chicken parmesan
If you would like to make your marinara sauce from scratch, you can use the following recipe:
- 28oz. can of whole peeled tomatoes
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Pulse the whole peeled tomatoes in a food processor until they become smooth.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, taking care not to burn it.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and dried oregano. Mix well and let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes until it thickens.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and use it to accompany your air fryer chicken parmesan.
Marinara sauce is a versatile sauce that can be used in many dishes. You can use it as a dipping sauce for breadsticks, as a pizza sauce, or as a base for other pasta sauces.
If you want to add some extra flavor to your marinara sauce, you can add some chopped onions and carrots to the garlic and olive oil mixture. Cook them until they are soft before adding the pureed tomatoes. This will give your sauce a slightly sweeter taste and a more complex flavor profile.
Another way to customize your marinara sauce is to add some fresh herbs. You can add some chopped basil, parsley, or thyme to the sauce after it has finished cooking. This will give your sauce a fresh, herbaceous flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
Top 5 sides to serve with air fryer chicken parmesan
Here are some delicious sides that pair well with air fryer chicken parmesan:
- Roasted vegetables such as broccoli or Brussels sprouts
- Garlic bread
- Caesar salad
- Pesto pasta
- Roasted potatoes
However, if you're looking for some more unique sides to try with your air fryer chicken parmesan, here are two additional options:
- Caprese salad - the fresh flavors of tomato, mozzarella, and basil complement the richness of the chicken parmesan perfectly.
- Grilled asparagus - the smoky flavor of grilled asparagus adds a nice contrast to the crispy chicken and cheesy sauce.
Experiment with different sides to find your favorite pairing with air fryer chicken parmesan!
Health benefits of a low-carb, no-breading chicken parmesan recipe
By eliminating the breading, this air fryer chicken parmesan recipe is lower in carbohydrates, making it a great option for those on a low-carb or keto diet. Additionally, using an air fryer instead of deep-frying the chicken reduces the amount of oil and calories in the dish while preserving the flavors and texture. The added benefit of homemade marinara sauce and roasted vegetables instead of carb-laden sides also makes this recipe a healthy meal option.
Furthermore, chicken is a great source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing muscles, as well as maintaining a healthy immune system. The roasted vegetables in this recipe also provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. By incorporating this low-carb, no-breading chicken parmesan recipe into your diet, you can enjoy a delicious and nutritious meal that supports your overall health and wellness.
How to store and reheat leftover air fryer chicken parmesan without losing its texture and taste
To store leftover air fryer chicken parmesan, allow it to cool and then place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When reheating, place it in the air fryer at 360°F for 5-7 minutes to retain the crispy texture and flavors. Alternatively, you can reheat it in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
It is important to note that when reheating air fryer chicken parmesan, you should avoid using a microwave as it can make the coating soggy and ruin the texture. Additionally, if you want to add some extra flavor to your reheated chicken parmesan, you can sprinkle some fresh parmesan cheese on top before reheating it in the air fryer or oven.
Air fryer chicken parmesan without breading is an easy and healthier version of the classic Italian-American dish. By following the step-by-step instructions and using tips and tricks for crispy and flavorful chicken, you can enjoy a dish that is both delicious and low in carbohydrates. Pair it with a homemade marinara sauce and delicious sides for a complete and wholesome meal.