I will be turning 60 in October and I'm not really depressed about it because In 60 years I am thankful for so many things and here is my list!
60 things I’m thankful for in 60 years
Let me start off by saying that this post isn't meant to be a depressing post. At first it might come across that way to you but it's about all the things I am thankful for in the (almost) 60 years that I've been on this earth. October will be here soon enough but trust me....I'm not rushing it. lol
1. Thankful to be Alive. First and foremost I thank God that I am here to celebrate by 60th birthday. There are so many don't have the opportunity to do that. My sister was one of those people. She died at the age of 51. Her husband also passed at the age of 55. My husband's brother was killed at the age of 28 by a drunk driver.
2. My Parents. I am thankful that I had mom on this earth until the age of 98. My dad passed at 75 and he was there to help everyone as much as he could while he was with us. I miss them both dearly but and thankful for years they were here.
3. Children. I have two wonderful sons and I couldn't be more thankful for both of them. They both turned into awesome young men and husbands.
4. Grandchildren. I have been blessed with five beautiful grandchildren. Three boys and two girls with the oldest at 13 and youngest at 5.
5. A Roof Over my Head. Something like this may seem trivial to some, however, there are so many people people that are homeless and don't have that, to me it's a blessing. Whether it's a regular home or for the past two years, our rv, I'm covered...literally.
The little Things
6. A Job When I Needed It. I was blessed to have had a job for most of my life. I started working at the age of 14 and was employed until I retired.
7. A Vehicle. Thankfully I had a (working) vehicle for the majority of my life. It might seem like a small thing but it was there when I needed it.
8. Food on my Table. I am lucky in the fact that there is food on my table. There may have been times when it was low but I made it through the tough times.
9. Clothes on my Back. Believe it or not, there are people that are less fortunate and cannot afford the clothing they need. Which is one reason I try to give clothing I no longer need to the people that need it the most.
10. Good Health. Even though my health hasn't been so great lately, I am still able to get out of move and move around.
11 - 20 things to be thankful for:
11. Pets. I don't know what I would do without my fur babies. Right now we only have the one German Shepherd Dog, but it gets lonely when there isn't one around. She really is family.
12. Money. I don't have a lot of money, but I have enough to survive.
13. Good Friends. I don't have a lot of friends, however, the friends that I do have are true friends. Friends that I have known most of my life and can be trusted. Ones that are there if I need them to lean on.
14. Having a Partner. Sometimes things don't work out between two people and they must part ways. I live by the old saying that everything happens for a reason. I am lucky enough to have found someone to spend the rest of my life with.
15. Sunshine. The sun is an entegral part of living. Without it we, at least I know I wouldn't/couldn't survive. It makes me feel good and gives me energy.
Stuff not to take for granted:
16. My Eyesight. I am thankful for my eyesight because without it I wouldn't be able to see the beautiful places that we get visit.
17. My Hearing. I'm thankful for being able to hear people talking to me, to be able to listen to music and hear the TV.
18. Freedom. I am thankful for all those that served in the Military and allowing me to have freedom.
19. Electricity. Without electricity we wouldn't have the ability to do most of things that we do today.
20. The Internet. I wouldn't be writing this post without the Internet. lol
21. Relationships. Since I've started blogging in 2012, I have met so many people. Girls, Guys, kids and even pets.
22. Traveling. Even before we had our RV, we did a lot of traveling. I am thankful that we can do that.
23. Sunrises and Sunsets. I love sunrises and sunsets. Although, I'm usually not up to catch the sunrise. I am always taking pictures of sunsets too. lol
24. The Hallmark Channel. Call me crazy, but I love all those Christmas movies that pretty much have the same story line. If it's a romantic movie, count me in.
25. Pet Movies. While we are on the subject of movies, if there's a story with pets, specifically dogs in it, you better believe I'm watching it. And most probably crying while watching it. Eight Below gets me every time no matter how many times I've seen it.
Things Everyone should be thankful for:
26. Old Photos and Home Movies. I love looking at old photos and home movies. My uncle gave me some old 8mm movies and I had them transferred onto CD's. I can watch them over and over and I get a huge smile on my face every time.
27. Courteous People. It seems like there aren't very many courteous people around anymore. People that will hold a door open for you, say thank you, stop if you need help, etc.
28. Holidays. It's getting to be that time of the year when my favorite holidays are coming. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are totally my favorite and it shows when I decorate.
29. Memories. I am thankful that I can still remember all the wonderful memories I have. Memories of my family, when I was little, my wild teenage years and all my family members.
30. Love. This kind of goes hand in hand with the partner. Although it's possible to have a partner and not have love, I am thankful for both. The love of my parents and children is more to be thankful for.
31 - 40 things to be thankful for:
31. Coffee. Without coffee I would be dragging all day. lol
32. Things I Have. I am thankful for what I have. Some people wish for more and think the grass is greener on the other side. But that isn't always true.
33. My iPhone. Do you ever wonder what we did before smartphones? I have 40,000 pictures on my phone. We're able to talk to anyone and see anyone via video.
34. Scenery. The mountains, ocean, forests and more.
35. Wineries. Who ever thought of wine tastings at wineries and wine tours was an amazing person. I love visiting them and tasting all the different wines available across the US. Which is we signed up for Harvest Hosts. We are able to stay over at wineries for one night in our RV and it's simply amazing.
Things we all experience:
36. Great Recipes. Everyone has recipes that have been passed down from their parents and grandparents. Those are the recipes that you cherish and that bring back memories of happy times with family.
37. Mistakes. Trust me when I say that I am thankful for all the mistakes that I've made in my life. They have made me a better person and I have learned so much from them. I might have made the same mistake two or three times, but I learned. lol
38. Hugs. Hugs make you feel good and as it turns out is good for you. It's proven to make you happier and healthier.
39. Smiles. Did you know that if force yourself to smile even when you are in a bad mood, it can help you to feel better? Plus it makes other's smile too.
40. Family. This probably should have been listed as one of the top things under mom, dad, children and grandchildren. Where would we be without family. I love my sisters even though it's rarely said. Our family always got together weekly when I was little. Families don't do that anymore and it's kind of sad. We try to as much as possible but you know how life gets in the way most of the time. 🙁
41 - 50:
41. Music. I love music. I love singing along and music makes me feel good and forget all my worries.
43. My Mind. I am thankful that I can still remember things. My mom had dementia that last couple years of her life and it's a very sad disease. She didn't know me but I knew it was the disease and not her.
44. Being Able to Take Care of My Mom. I am thankful that my husband was willing to move in with my mom to take care of her when she started to go downhill. I vowed I would NEVER put my mother in a nursing home and we were both retired and able to take care of her.
45. Opportunities. Not everyone is able get the opportunity to do some of the things that I did. I flew to Germany when I was 17 and even though I was young and really didn't get to see too much of the country, I still had the opportunity.
Where would we be without these things?
46. Teachers. Even though I didn't realize it at the time, my teachers taught me most of things I needed to know. There was also a few things I didn't need, like shorthand. lol
47. Water. Believe it or not, there are many countries where water is not as plentiful as we have here. We have plenty to drink, bathe, enjoy and use.
48. Rockets. I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to see a rocket or two launch from Cape Canaveral. No matter how many times I have seen them go up, it is still amazing every time I see them.
49. Beach. Nothing is more relaxing than being on the beach listening to the waves crashing. As long as there are waves. lol
50. Healthcare. This has been a rough year health wise for me. If it weren't for the wonderful nurses and Dr.'s at South Lake Hospital, I don't know where I'd be.
51 - 60 things to be thankful for:
51. Air Conditioning. I don't know how we ever survived without air conditioning growing up. Maybe it wasn't as hot, maybe we didn't know what it was, ha, but I do know that I could NEVER survive without it now....in our home or our vehicle.
52. Social Media. Without it I wouldn't get to keep up with things going in my family. I get to see pictures of everyone and birthdays and weddings that we can't be at in person.
53. Life Experiences. All life experiences good and bad. Thankful for change and the journey it brings!
54. Laughter. Laughing daily is good for your health. And it makes you feel good.
55. Bathtubs. This is probably the thing I miss most in our RV. We had a jacuzzi tub in both our last two homes and I would just love to sit and soak my troubles away. I know of one RV that has a beautiful tub, but it didn't have any of the other features that we were looking for. 🙁
Last but not Least:
56. My Snack Bar. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to own my own little Snack Bar for four years. I loved doing it and people loved my food which is always a good thing.
57. Today. Be thankful for all you have, because you never know what will happen next. Life is too short. Live life to the fullest everyday.
58. Exactly What I Have. I am thankful for exactly what I have. Everyone always wants more, but I'm content. I didn't realize how much stuff we had until we started liquidating all the clutter for full time RV Travel. You don't realize how much stuff you have until you have to move it. UGH!
59. The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. I am so excited to be able to attend the Balloon Fiesta this year for my 60th birthday celebration. It's been on my bucket list forever and this year I vowed to make it happen. Follow along on our Instagram page with the hashtag #60thBirthdayCelebration.
60. YOU! Without you, my readers, I wouldn't be sitting here writing this post because there would be no reason to. Thank you.