If you haven’t yet thought about what to put in your Easter baskets, we’ve compiled a list of 10 all time favorites for your consideration and Peeps Cupcakes recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for more info.
Peeps Cupcakes and 10 All Time Favorite Candies
Every candy lover has a favorite. It could be a yummy chocolate anything or maybe even a fruit flavored something but one thing is for sure, If you are giving an Easter basket this year then you probably have an idea of what favorite candies you will be searching for up and down the aisles at your local store.
However, if you haven’t yet thought about what to put in your Easter baskets (and even if you have) then we’ve compiled a list of 10 all time favorites for your consideration.
10 All Time Favorite Easter Candy
Jelly Beans – Whether or not you actually eat them, with approximately 14 billion sold each year, you probably expect them in your Easter basket. An Easter candy staple since the 1930’s, these fruit flavored sugary beans now come in almost any flavor imaginable thanks to the Jelly Belly Company.
Chocolate Bunnies – If you love chocolate, then you love your chocolate bunnies. Solid, hollow, milk or dark – ears or feet first – all that matters to you is there is one located somewhere in your Easter basket. A chocolate bunny is chocolate –‘nough said.
Peeps – A marshmallow confection in a rainbow of pastel colors for spring, Peeps is an Easter basket mainstay. Take your pick – yellow, pink, lavender, blue & green ; bunnies, chicks, tulips, eggs in orange cream or you can decorate your own and a personal favorite –a yellow chick inside a chocolate egg (yep, I said chocolate).
Chocolate Candy Bars – Your favorite every day candy bar just became your favorite Easter candy bar all dressed up for the holiday. Virtually anything the Nestle, Mars or Cadbury companies make is put on offer for Easter. Kit Kat does bunny ears while Snickers, Almond Joy & Milky Way all offer egg shaped confections.
Cadbury Crème Eggs – Hershey’s manufactures & sells Cadbury in the US but reserves sales of the Crème & Caramel Eggs only for the Easter season. If you’re not familiar with the crème eggs, they are a yummy concoction of a thick milk chocolate shell with white & yellow fondant cream inside mimicking the egg white & yolk. They are a sticky sweet treat for the season.
Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg – What more do you have to say. There’s peanut butter in the chocolate and chocolate in the peanut butter – like the old advertisement says. Made by the Hershey company and slightly larger than a regular peanut butter cup the Reese’s peanut butter egg never fails to impress. Make sure to put in more than one.
Robin Eggs –Tasty, egg shaped, malted milk candy in a pastel colored candy coating Robin Eggs are a nifty treat for your taste buds. Several companies make similar candies and some even have great flavors like strawberry milkshake. They are sometimes packed in tiny egg cartons to add to the Easter theme.
Pez – Each year Pez comes out with a new Easter themed dispenser for their timeless candy. This would be a perfect addition the your favorite collector’s Easter basket.
M & Ms – Along with themed dispensers, M & M candies put on their Easter best for the season. They even offer personalized candy if you order from their website so put on your favorite bunny suit and upload that photo to create your Easter candy surprise.
Sweetart Eggs – Shaped like chicks, ducks, bunnies & eggs, Sweetarts are just like you remember from your childhood. Slightly sweet – a little tart and if you eat too many you just might get sick. They haven’t forgotten chocolate lovers either. If you look really hard you just might be able to find a hollow chocolate egg with Sweetart candy inside.
Now that you have a few ideas of what to put inside your Easter basket you just have to decide what shape your basket will take and if you’ll use plastic or edible Easter grass. Yep, there is such a thing.
Peeps Easter Cupcake
Easter Cupcake Ingredients:
- Box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ carrot cake mix
- 1 cup baking butter
- Cup of whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tsp. of Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 8 ounces cream cheese , room temperature
- 4 TBSPs unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar, not packed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
How to Make Peeps Cupcakes
Peeps Frosting Directions
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, butter, milk, vanilla and eggs on low speed 30 seconds. 3. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. 4. Pour into baking cups in cupcake pan, filling each about 2/3 full. 5. Bake 17-22 minutes. 6. Cool completely. 7. Cut out a whole in the center to fit the Peep. 1. Cream together the cream cheese and the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time. 2. Then add in the vanilla extract. 3. Insert your peep in the center of the cupcake. 4. Pipe your frosting over cupcakes around the Peep candy using a star pastry tip. 5. Sprinkle your Easter cake sprinkles on the frosting. 6. Enjoy!
1. Heat oven to 325°F.
Peeps Frosting Directions
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, butter, milk, vanilla and eggs on low speed 30 seconds.
3. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
4. Pour into baking cups in cupcake pan, filling each about 2/3 full.
5. Bake 17-22 minutes.
6. Cool completely.
7. Cut out a whole in the center to fit the Peep.
1. Cream together the cream cheese and the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time.
2. Then add in the vanilla extract.
3. Insert your peep in the center of the cupcake.
4. Pipe your frosting over cupcakes around the Peep candy using a star pastry tip.
5. Sprinkle your Easter cake sprinkles on the frosting.