Gingerbread houses have been around as long as gingerbread men. But here is a different version with Gingerbread House Sugar Cookies. They aren’t as hard to make as they look.
Gingerbread House Sugar Cookies
One way to make your holiday baking go better is to have a plan for freezing and storing your holiday baked goods so that you don’t have to do all the baking in one day. Spend a day or two baking and freeze for later. It all depends on the type of time you have available but learning to freeze and store the delicious creations will help a lot.
Makes 3 dozen cookies
Gingerbreads House Cookie Ingredients:
- 3 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Sticks soft unsalted butter
- Cup of granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- Cookie Cutter: Circle, house, mini gingerbread man, mini reindeer
Cookies Icing Ingredients:
- 4 egg whites
- 2 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
– Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
– Add eggs…Continue to mix.
– Add the vanilla.. Continue mixing.
– Sift the four, baking soda, and salt together.
– Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
– Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
– Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
– Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
– Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
– Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
– Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using the cookie cutter begin to make your cookies.
– Using a metal spatula move the cut cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
– Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
– Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely. (About 10 minutes).
– Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
– If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
– Divide the icing into 5 equal bowls.
– The first bowl of icing remains light brown.
– The second bowl of icing, add several drops of purple gel food coloring. Stir to mix.
– The third bowl of icing, add several drops of pink.
– The fourth bowl of icing remains white.
– The fifth bowl, add a few drops of flesh colored to get a light light tan color.
– Thin out the brown icing left in the bowl using a tsp of water
– Pipe on snow around the top of the house and fill in with white icing.
– Let sit for 30 minutes.
– Pipe an edge using the brown icing around the house, mini gingerbread and reindeer.
– Fill in with the thinner brown icing.
– Let dry for 2-3 hours.
– Pipe on a white door and use the purple icing to make lines on the door.
– Use the pink to make pink heart windows and then white to make window lines
– Make 3 dots, in different sizes above the door and pipe on squiggly lines to make “Rose” like looks.
– Decorate the mini gingerbread man and reindeer according to the picture.
– Let dry for another 3 hours
– Dip the circle cookie in thick white icing and then dip the icing covered part of the cookie in coconut flakes.
– Place gingerbread house onto the circle cookie and hold it there for 15 minutes
– Place the gingerbread man and reindeer on the cookie.
– Let dry for 2 hours.
Nutrition may vary depending on the products used. Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram
Cookies Icing Ingredients:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 0gSugar: 29gProtein: 2g
Did you make this recipe?
Nutrition may vary depending on the products used.
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram